Monday, September 1, 2008

A man who delivers fun

Mr. M is a delivery man, but he's not your typical delivery man. He is more like a comedian or an entertainer pretending to be a delivery man. I suspect that working as a delivery man is merely a disguise for him to get to know people he can entertain. 

A couple days ago, he delivered a package and asked if we had "a few minutes to spare." Of course we did. Looking pleased, he went back to his little van and returned with a mysterious white plastic bag. He took out a sketchbook and two unused pencils from it and sharpened the pencils slowly. Tantalizingly slowly.

As our expectation was reaching its peak, he finally started drawing something, using his both hands simultaneously. The drawing turned out to be of a dragonfly which he saw that morning. He said the dragonfly was a messenger of an approaching autumn and added a "haiku" poem he'd just composed to the drawing. 

A few deliveries back, Mr. M performed an impromptu one-man show in our garden, mimicking chirpings of several different birds. It was such a brilliant performance that it's a real pity the audience was just two of us. 

Mr. M once said he was always trying to find new ways to entertain himself because he was single and had a lot of time to kill. When I heard it, the words "entertain himself" echoed in my mind. And I realized how poorly I've been entertaining myself all my life. I've always relied on such predictable and unimaginative ways as shopping, watching DVDs, or surfing the Net. 

Mr. M may not have what many of us have but it seems to me that he is enjoying his life more. I think it's because he knows how to play by himself. If my husband and I are left alone in a deserted island, we couldn't enjoy the life there, thinking only about how to get out. But I'm pretty sure Mr. M would be totally happy and I admire him for that.

No comments: