Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Revisiting my spiritual roots

This is where I was given my name. My mother consulted a priest of this Shinto shrine when choosing a name for me. I think she wanted to make sure I'd have a good name after a tragic loss of her first child. 

This is where my mother brought my sister and me every year to summer and winter festivals and bought me my first balloon when I was three or four. I inadvertently let go of the balloon only minutes later. I cried for it, helplessly watching it disappearing into the dark night sky. 

This is also where I was temporarily employed when I was a college student to sell "omikuji" fortune papers to people who paid "hatsumode" New Year's visits to the shrine. 

And this is where I came first thing in the morning on the day of a high school class reunion for which I flew a thousand mile from Okinawa to my hometown near Tokyo for the first time in three years.


No comments: